Usha Harish is a wildlife photographer, safari planner based out of East Africa for the past 14 years, a chartered accountant turned photographer, an avid traveler, loves wildlife and nature, likes to capture the emotions of animals in their natural habitat.
Although born and brought up in South India with Nilgiri mountains, she never knew her deep passion for nature and wildlife until her move to Kenya in 2008. What started as an hobby of taking wildlife photos turned to passion and then a profession. Masai Mara is her first love but understanding and photographing different species in Kenya and Uganda national parks for wildlife became part of her lifestyle!
She wants to showcase the wilderness around and spread awareness to the world about conservation through her photographic work. Beautiful colors, animal patterns and animal behavior intrigue her as much as the act of translating those into images using the camera. She currently lives in Nairobi, Kenya. Usha conducts photo safaris/workshops and also does bookingsfor all nature lovers who wants to explore East Africa under her company Usha Harish Photography based out of Kenya.
She is also the co founder of Mara Siligi Camp, an eco friendly safari tented camp in heart of Masai land in Masai Mara, Kenya to empower the Masai community.
The journey has become fascinating, as she now engages in various projects, commissioned work and here are some of the things that have made her happy in the last few years.
- Conducted an online webinar workshop hosted by Canon on wildlife photography "What to hunt" in March 2021.
- Conducted a wildlife photography class webinar hosted by Wildlife Direct Organisation in May 2020
- Work Featured in BBC News in April 2021 and recognized as one of the top 100 leading wildlife photographers and is part of the part of the Newbig5 project initiative started in April 2020 https://www.newbig5.com/usha-harish/
- Recognised as a Canon brand influencer and did a photography project for Nairobi National Park in December 2020 sponsored by Canon and Kenya Wildlife Services to showcase the biodiversity around.
- Finalist in the prestigious NHM Wildlife Photographer of the Year contest 2019, 2020 – 54th year conducted by Natural History Museum, UK
- Hosted and participated in an Art Exhibition in September 2019 & 2021 towards “Recycle & Conservation” titled Vanishing Wonders in Nairobi, Kenya along with three other renowned artists.
- Her life story transformation as a wildlife photographer got published in the most popular Tamil magazine in India in Aval Vikatan in 2018.
- Awarded as East African Wildlife Photographer of 2016 by East African Wild Life Society (eawildlife.org)
- Featured article in June 2016 edition on the Kenya Airways in-flight magazine Msafiri.
- Winner for the month of April 2016 Shoot the wild contest organized by Shoot the frame International Photography awards.
- Exhibited wildlife pictures in the International Photography Exhibition held in Kolkata, India in April 2016.
- Publish of her funny elephant images in most of the UK newspapers The Mirror, The Mail Online, The Daily Telegraph, The Daily Telegraph in May 2016
- Photographic commissioned work for elephant conservation project from Wildlife Direct organization in Kenya in Oct 2015.
- A curated collection of her wildlife images displayed at the B&W exhibition, hosted by Pearl Guide Magazine in August 2015, brought with it some lovely buyers.
As a self-taught photographer, she is grateful to several wonderful mentors who have added depth to her knowledge, understanding and creation of her images.
She is available for wildlife safari planning for all travelers and also taking wildlife photography workshops through photo tours for enthusiast photographers in East Africa.
Kindly click on ‘Contact’ and discover the various ways she can enhance your memories as a photographer. Please feel free to browse through her galleries and contact her if you are interested in her photography.
Website : www.ushaharish.com
Instagram : usha.harish.photography
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Camp website : www.marasiligicamp.com
Instagram : marasiligicamp